Moi Moi is a Nigerian side dish which is usually accompanied by jollof rice (red rice), fried rice, fried plantain etc. It can be eaten as a snack with a soft drink to wash it down. I don’t drink fizzy drinks and soft drinks that much anymore so I drink water of pure fruit juices.
- 3 cup of Black/Brown Eyed Beans
- 9 eggs or 2 cans of corned beef
- 3 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tin of tomato puree
- 1 handful of crayfish
- 1 small red pepper (for spiciness, if not desired don not include it)
- 3 medium sized onions
- 1 Tsp of nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- 3 Maggi/Knorr Cubes
- Foil (You will need to fold the foil into several small pockets to put the moi moi mixture in)
- Three hours before cooking, soak the beans in water and remove the outer coat. Then leave the beans to soak in the water for three hours.
- If using eggs, boil them in the 3 hours gap. If using corned beef, then prepare it.
- Blend a medium serving spoon of beans at a time with a small quantity of water. (This step takes time but the consistency of the food makes the taste better.)
- Once completed, blend all the ingredients together (including the beans again) and place into a big bowl.
- Prepare half a litre of warm water and slowly add the water to the mixture slowly. Once you have achieved medium consistency (use hands to feel mixture), add salt, oil, Maggi/Knorr cubes to mixture.
- Stir mixture very well and begin to pour into the small foil packets. Slice eggs or chop corned beef mixture into each packet equally.
- Pad the pot with foil before adding moi moi packets into the pot. After placing the packets add a small quantity of water into the pot and start cooking.
- Add a small quantity of water every now and then. After an hour, pierce one of the pockets with a knife. If the knife is covered in moi moi, it isn’t ready. If it has a slight smear of moi moi, it is ready.
Depending on how many packets you are cooking, the cooking time will be less. Give it between 45 minutes to an hour to cook though.
I know that this seems like a lot of preparation but it is really good. It’s high in fiber as well as protein. Let me know if you liked it.